Pages

Monday, March 14, 2011

Divide and Conquer

  I am cleaning out my file cabinet (it's been filling up for 10 years) and have come across many great articles and tidbits that I have saved over the years.  I saved these because they contained valuable information that I may want to share or retreive later.  Well, I haven't retreived them in a VERY long time so I guess it is time to SHARE the information.

   I have shared my own ideas for photo organization but it helps to have many different ideas before you start a project so that you can decide the one that will work best for you.  The following is an excerpt from www.dennydavis.net/peomfiles/qalbum3.htm  It was retrieved on 5/9/2006 so I am not even sure if the link is still active.  I wanted to be sure to give credit to the original author though.  The article was written for consultants teaching scrapbook workshops, keep this in mind as you read.  If any of my customers would like for me to teach a workshop such as this, please let me know so that we can schedule it.

"You might offer a divide and conquer portion of the workshop at this time too.  A divide and conquer is just a session where you help them sort their photos.  Thsi is sometimes why people won't come to workshops.  They feel the task of actually organizing the photos is too overwhelming.  If you tell them that you can help them get organizesd before they actually start working in albums, then maybe that will attract them.  I know that I have had customers use this reason in the past as to not attending workshops.

At a divide and conquer, you will need:
Shoe boxes or buy inexpensive photo storage boxes (one customer of mine uses baby wipes boxes- thoroughly cleaned out of course), cardboard for dividers, ziploc baggies and a sharpie marking pen.

Have them sort their photos into broad categories first, like:
Christmas, or the 80's, the 60's, etc.  Or just all of one person.  Each broad category then goes into a ziploc bag and is labeled.  When each category is done, then you can go back and sort each bag into order.  (This can be done at night watching TV, in the car in line to pick up kids at school, anywhere). 

When this is done, then sort the bags into the order you want them to go into the album.  Put them into the storage box or shoe box and you can then add appropriate stickers or die cuts at this time in with the photos so that as you work on the album, you have your supplies that you need readily at hand.

Each of these steps can be broken down into different time frames, so it all doesn't have to be done in one session.  The idea is to get the photos in a certain order for placing in the album.  (You do not want to leave photos in ziploc bags for an indefinite period of time however.  These are plastic and may be harmful for the photos.  But, for the purpose of sorting, a few days or weeks should be okay.)"