Pages

Friday, January 29, 2010

Why it's important to stick to a planned project when attending a workshop

   Many times over the past few years as a consultant, I have been faced with workshop attendees that decide to take their supplies and change the planned project a bit.  While I do value the creative efforts of my customers, this often proves to be very frustrating and takes the attention off of the project that I have designed for the class.  I never say anything, I just go on with the class trying to get attention back onto the project.  I would like to share with you all a couple of reasons why you SHOULD stick to the project.

1.  Workshop projects typically teach a specific technique and trying to figure out a way to change the project takes away your ability to focus on the new technique.

2.  Workshops are designed so that the entire class can complete the project in a timely manner.  If everyone begins to work on their own design or begins to discuss the design of another attendee, it slows the project down and distracts from the technique being taught.

   I love to see the creations of any of my customers but when you attend a workshop that I am teaching, I want you to learn the technique that I am teaching.  When customers start redesigning the workshop, my feelings get hurt because I feel that my project wasn't up to par.  It also causes me to have to go back and reteach those techniques to you at a later date.  Feel free to create to your heart's content, share your creations with me via Facebook or blogs, but please leave my workshop projects as I have designed them.  I do this as a living and I do not like having to reteach a technique that I have already taught.